Re: Need devfs help

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 12:20:18AM +0200, Svante Signell wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Compiling the latest kernel (2.4.7) I decided to enable devfs support
> and also start devfsd at boot. Most things seem to work fine except
> the sound card, the cdrom (both mounting and playing CDs) and cdrw,
> Accessing these one gets complaints of /dev files missing.
>
> Manually insmod-ing the emu10k1 module solved the sound problem. (How
> to make it permanent?) Without devfsd all alsa modules loads OK. The
> CD disk problems are still unresolved.

The same way we've always loaded modules, Pinky ... list them in
/etc/modules.

CD-ROM will be something like /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/cd or
/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd ... in the SCSI case a /dev/sr0
symlink is set up for you.  Dunno about IDE as I'm using
SCSI-emulation anyway.

CD-writing generally needs SCSI-emulation and SCSI generic devices,
so /dev/sr* (reading) and /dev/sg* (writing) are what you need.  You
obviously need SCSI generic and CD-ROM support in the kernel or as
modules as well as SCSI-emulation compiled into the kernel or as a
module.

> Maybe the answers to my questions are given in an FAQ/HOWTO?

Well, yeah.  This post also belongs on debian-user as it has
absolutely nothing to do with debian-development ... redirecting it
there.

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.