gdm and halt/reboot?

Hi list,

After the latest unstable upgrades to gdm it is not any longer
possible to halt/reboot the box from the login menu :(

Also Ctrl-Alt-Del does not bite, one has to switch to a console to use
it. Logged in to Gnome/Sawfish I have not found any way of halting the
box, except knowing the root password or moving to a console with
Ctrl-Alt-F1 accompanied by C-A-D.

This is _very_ unfortunate, not for me, since I know how to start/stop
the computer, but for my kids to learn using Linux (not only M$). They
should be able to start/stop the computer themselves without using the
power switch (checking disks takes a long time, no journaling FS yet) :(

I know that sudo is one solution, and I've used it on another box, but
this either requires a user login with gdm and a sudo command or
scrapping gdm and use startx for X.

This subject has been brought up several times before, maybe this subject
should be / is already be part of an FAQ. Any ideas, pointers?

Svante