Re: Debbugs: The Next Generation

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, John Goerzen wrote:

> Oh, what an insiteful message.  This and your 83-message-post with
> exactly 2 new lines of content (which were substantially the same
> anyway) will forever be remembered as pinnacles of literary
> achievement.
>
> You know, what problem do you have with Matt?  If he wants to write a
> better debbugs, more power to him!  We can all look at his result when
> it's done, and at the current software, and decide which we will want
> to use.  He is right to post to -devel to solicit help from other
> interested developers.  I fail to see what's wrong with this
> approach.  Should he be posting to debian-powerpc or something?!
> Rather than fighting with attempts to improve our BTS, why not work
> WITH others that are interested?

He should contact the current debbugs people, to see if they have anything
planned(this particular debbugs person does).  He should at least give a heads
up, straight to the debbugs people(owner@bugs) when he started this.

Let's draw a parallel.

When someone is going to do an NMU on a package, then mail the maintainer of
the package, they don't mail -devel.  And even when they do NMU, again, they
don't mail -devel.  What Matt has done, is start on an NMU, but hasn't
actually done it yet.