Re: Debbugs: The Next Generation

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 07:37:33PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>
> > In order to meet these goals, I'm taking the following approach:
> > - Relational (SQL) backend
>
> Keep in mind that we have seen postgres fail in such a way that the database
> was permanently corrupted (only once though). Any acceptable implemenation
> will have to have some means to store plain-text backups. I don't think
> pgdump will necessarily cut it for a BTS type of application either.

What version was this?  Was the bug ever isolated and fixed?  The application
isn't wedded to PostgreSQL; it's just what I typically use.   Do you know of a
more reliable alternative?  It wouldn't be too hard to export everything to
text files, but why is it that a dump wouldn't suffice?

Does this mean that master doesn't get regularly backed up?

> Also, we have a policy of not allowing postgres to listen on a TCP socket, so
> don't get any hopes up for remote queries through that means.

I wasn't expecting it.  That does remind me, though; how does the LDAP
interface to the BTS work (that is, where can I find the scripts which do the
conversion)?

--
 - mdz