Re: License Issues of Interchange Documentation

[This really should have go to debian-legal.]

From: Stefan Hornburg (Racke) <racke@linuxia.de>

> I'll like to package the Interchange documentation. The source code
> is available seperately from the Interchange software and has
> the following licensing:
>
> ---snip---
> The documentation (including the printed books available for purchase)
> follows Red Hat's customary documentation licensing, which is this:
>
> Copyright 2001 by Red Hat, Inc. This material may be distributed only
> subject to the terms and conditions set forth in the Open Publication
> License, V1.0 or later (the latest version is presently available at
> http://www.opencontent.org/openpub/).
>
> Distribution of substantively modified versions of this document is
> prohibited without the explicit permission of the copyright holder.
>
> Distribution of the work or derivative of the work in any standard (paper)
> book form for commercial purposes is prohibited unless prior permission is
> obtained from the copyright holder.
>
> (end)
>
> In other words, both license options A and B were included.
> ---snip---
>
> IMHO opinion, this license isn't DFSG-compatible and the doc's
> package has go into non-free, right ?

The license isn't DFSG-compatible, and it should arguably go in non-free.
However, there is documentation with comparable licenses in main. There is a
semi-regular flame war over the subject, but no one has ever pushed to a
head. There is, however, an existing serious bug on the matter: 92810. The
decision is up to you (so long as the ftp-masters don't objec.t)

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"The pig -- belongs -- to _all_ mankind!" - Invader Zim