Re: changelogs again (libc6 this time)

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 12:38:41PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > The libXmuu is newly introduced in 4.1, so that's obvious. But you didn't
> > include the reason why you increased the version requirement for the other
> > 14 libraries.
>
> Because of things like this, also from the changelog:
>
>     + Matthieu Herrb: shared libXft minor revision number increment
>
> This was committed to upstream CVS after 4.1 was tagged and released, but
> before any changes were made to Xft; the revision number should already
> have been incremented for Xft, but this was overlooked.

Figures, a precaution measure. Not that I have anything against precaution
measures -- lack thereof hit me with Nessus libs once, when a user found out
that things doesn't work with different versions of the libs (not just a
linker error, but code to abort when old versions are detected!), and now
I have this in the rules files:

version         := $(shell expr $(CURDIR) : '.*-\([0-9.]*\)')

        dh_makeshlibs -V "libnessus1 (>= $(version))"

It also sucks that one can't reliably determine the endpoint of the
dependency (we all remember how the slang maintainer tried it once and
got screwed when the upstream changed the versioning scheme).