bad descriptions (long)

Hello all

I start a project to translate the package descritions and write the
'ddts' (Debian Descriptions Translation Server) with a mail interface.

Now we have -de and some -pt_BR translation in the database.

for more information see: http://auric.debian.org/~grisu/ddts/

With this I have see a lot of package descriptions in the last weeks.
English and translated description and I found (maybe) some bad
descriptions.

I search and found some policy about the descriptions in "Debian New
Maintainers' Guide (1.0)" section 4.1 [1], in "Debian Policy Manual
(3.5.6.0)" section 5.7 [2] and in "Debian Packaging Manual (3.1.1.1)"
section 7. [3].

The description should/may/must:
1. the short description shouldn't be longer than about 60
   characters [1]
2. should be kept brief - certainly under 80 characters. [2]
3. Do not include the package name in the synopsis line [2]
4. Do not try to continue the single line synopsis into the extended
   description [2]
5. in the long description:
5.a  There must be no blank lines [1]
5.b  " ." at the beginning make a blank line [1]
5.c  Do not use tab characters [2] [3]
5.d  Every package should also have an extended description. [3]
5.e  starting with a single space are part of a paragraph. Successive
     lines of this form will be word-wrapped when displayed. [3]
5.f  Lines starting with two or more spaces will be displayed
     verbatim. [3]
5.g  lines containing a single space followed by a single full stop
     character, will are rendered as blank lines. [3]
5.h  lines containing a space, a full stop and some more characters,
     are for future expansion.  Do not use them. [3]
5.i  _Always_ start extended description lines with at least one
     whitespace character. [3]

(maybe we should concentrate all rules in one policy and make links to this in
the others.)

I have collect some examples of bad descriptions:
|bad:
| You just have to place the package files into a incoming
| directory and the tool does the sorting (if you place the
| .changes file there too).
|better:
| You just have to place the package files into a incoming
| directory and the tool does the sorting (if you place
| the .changes file there too).
(see 5.h)

|bad:
|   This collection includes 100dpi/75dpi/misc(fixed,etc) and
| Type1 (Postscript) fonts for use in X11, that adhere to the
| standard ISO8859-7 (ELOT-928) standard encoding. Some fonts
| exist also in codepage 737 encoding (traditional greek DOS
| encoding) which can be used (with rxvt) for typing 737 greek.
|   The fonts were created by Thanassis Protopapas <protopap@cog.brown.edu> and
| Angelo Haritsis <ah@doc.ic.ac.uk>. Some fonts were modified by Yiannis
| Giftomitros <yang@hellug.gr>.
|better:
| This collection includes 100dpi/75dpi/misc(fixed,etc) and
| Type1 (Postscript) fonts for use in X11, that adhere to the
| standard ISO8859-7 (ELOT-928) standard encoding. Some fonts
| exist also in codepage 737 encoding (traditional greek DOS
| encoding) which can be used (with rxvt) for typing 737 greek.
| .
| The fonts were created by Thanassis Protopapas <protopap@cog.brown.edu> and
| Angelo Haritsis <ah@doc.ic.ac.uk>. Some fonts were modified by Yiannis
| Giftomitros <yang@hellug.gr>.
(see 5.e, 5.f)

|bad:
| This package includes following commands.
| dviselect: Dviselect selects pages from a DVI file, creating a new DVI file.
|            The package xdvik-ja uses dviselect for printing out a piece of
|            the DVI file.
| dviconcat: Dviconcat concatenates DVI files.
|better:
| This package includes following commands.
|  dviselect: Dviselect selects pages from a DVI file, creating a new DVI file.
|             The package xdvik-ja uses dviselect for printing out a piece of
|             the DVI file.
|  dviconcat: Dviconcat concatenates DVI files.
(see 5.f)

|bad:
| o Adduser can create new users and groups and add existing users to
|    existing groups.
| o Deluser can remove users and groups and remove users from specific
|    groups.
|better:
|  o Adduser can create new users and groups and add existing users to
|    existing groups.
|  o Deluser can remove users and groups and remove users from specific
|    groups.
(see 5.f)

I have some questions:
 - can we write bugreports about this?
 - can someone write a lintian warning for 5.h ?

The next one are not 'real' bugs, but the first I don't understand and the last
make the translation easier.

|bad:
| .
| ''This program is for users of xfsft by Juliusz Chroboczek
| and Mark Leisher. It reads TrueType fonts and creates a
|besster:
| ''This program is for users of xfsft by Juliusz Chroboczek
| and Mark Leisher. It reads TrueType fonts and creates a

is the extra blank line on the top of the description usefull?

|bad:
| Console Tool Kit is a toolkit for writing textbased GUIs. The syntax is
| almost the same as GTK+. It provides mouse support on the console through
| gpm.
| This package is for developing with the latest ctk.
|better:
| Console Tool Kit is a toolkit for writing textbased GUIs. The syntax is
| almost the same as GTK+. It provides mouse support on the console through
| gpm.
| .
| This package is for developing with the latest ctk.

We have a lot -dev packages with the same description of the nodev package.
This extra paragraph (6.e) make the description more clear and the translation
is easier.

Gruss
Grisu
The UNIX Guru's view of Sex:         unzip ; strip ; touch ; finger ;
mount ; fsck ; more ; yes ; umount ; sleep