Re: something is writing to /

:-> "Chad" == Chad Miller <cmiller@surfsouth.com> writes:

    > [...]
    >> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         1485 Jul 28 09:01 librrd0.postinst
    >> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          273 Jul 28 09:01 librrds-perl.postinst
    >> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          294 Jul 28 09:01 lm-sensors.postinst
    >> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         1474 Jul 28 09:01 mii-diag.postinst
    >>

    >> nothing else was accessed in /var/lib/dpkg/info on Jul 28
    >> unless it was reaccessed today when I ran apt-get dselect-upgrade

    > Nice.  Do any of those call 'MAKEDEV'?

of those no, but I found this:

z8530-utils2.postinst:    /sbin/MAKEDEV hamradio scc

which points to some old ax25 stuff again, as Hamish Moffat suggested.

    >> Chad wrote:
    >> > Grep -l your apt cache dir for literal 'errsXXXXXX'.
    >>
    >> uh.. ehm... I beg your pardon?

    > Sorry for being terse; the errs* files were almost certainly created by a
    > program using either libc's mks?temp functions, or by the mktemp program.
    > All of these use a template string to generate the filename, so searching
    > for the template should be the easy way to find it.  The part of the
    > template that is changed is six 'X'es, so a
    >   find / -type f -exec grep -l errsXXXXXX {} \;
    > should help, assuming the program that created them is still around.
    > Note the base dir '/' rather than '/var/apt/cache/archives' as I
    > suggested before.

whew! that took a loooong time :-)

file                            package         version
/usr/sbin/lpd                   lpr-ppd         0.71-5

only that one...

    > I hope I'm not overcompensating for my laconic first reply.

no no, there's always something to learn, thank you

Pf

 Pierfrancesco Caci | ik5pvx | mailto:p.caci@tin.it  -  http://gusp.dyndns.org
  Firenze - Italia  | Office for the Complication of Otherwise Simple Affairs
     Linux penny 2.4.7 #1 Thu Jul 26 14:48:56 CEST 2001 i686 unknown