Re: Base System release critical bug status II

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 02:27:08AM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> What about uploads which are fixing newly discovered RC bugs in these
> packages?  Those are allowed, I presume?

There shouldn't be any. If there are, I imagine they'll almost entirely be
security issues, which'll we want to start handling more carefully anyway.

> At what point should I put boot-floppies into feature freeze?

No more changes are allowed to policy after the end of this phase.
There shouldn't be any known RC bugs in base after the end of this phase.

No more changes are allowed to the base system after the end of the next phase.
There shouldn't be any known RC bugs in b-f's, standard, or tasks after the
end of the next phase.

No more changes to b-f's, standard, or tasks after the end of the third phase.
There shouldn't be any known RC bugs left after the end of the third phase.

After the end of the fourth phase, we release.

Basically each phase starts off with that area of the archive being
fundamentally releasable, and basically just leaves us with a month or
so to test and fix any irritating bugs we might want to beyond that.

So b-f's needs to be free of RC bugs (ie, feature complete) by,
optimistically, September 14th, and completely finished by, again
optimistically, October 14th. When and if you want to do a feature freeze
is up to you, really.

Cheers,
aj