Re: state of debian multimedia etc.

* Junichi Uekawa (dancer@netfort.gr.jp) wrote:
> Joshua Haberman <joshua@haberman.com> immo vero scripsit
>
> > ...anyone? I'd really like to know if libmpeg3 and broadcast 2000
> > packages will require a kernel version dependency, or if it's just a
> > fluke. I've already asked upstream and heard nothing back. How can I
> > determine if a piece of software really depends on a specific kernel
> > version?
>
> You can read the source, and such a dependency may exist.

Well of course, but what am I looking for? It doesn't include any kernel
headers, so it seems like the only way it could depend on the kernel
version is if it prototyped kernel functions or structures inline. Is
that a safe thing to say, or are there other ways that a program can be
dependent on a specific kernel version?

Joshua

--
Joshua Haberman  <joshua@haberman.com>