Re: Making files readable for the webserver

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Alex Pennace wrote:

[Files that need to be readable by the webserver]

> Debian Policy Manual section 11.9 says that files "should be owned by
> root.root, and made writable only by the owner and universally
> readable (and executable, if appropriate), that is mode 644 or 755."

> Could you provide more details if this stock answer isn't
> satisfactory?

The problem is that some of the files can get installed 600 root.root on
some systems (no idea why, umask is 002 and the files get created by
redirecting shell output) and I need to fix that in the postinst even for
existing installations. For that, I need the definition of "readable by
the webserver". I also think 644 root.root is okay, but I just wanted to
make sure (policy doesn't contain the word "www-data" according to grep).

I'll go for

if dpkg --compare-versions $2 ge 0.1.6-3; then
	if dpkg --compare-versions $2 lt 0.1.6-6; then
		for i in $conffiles; do
			chown root:root $i
			chmod 644 $i

   Simon

--
GPG public key available from http://phobos.fs.tum.de/pgp/Simon.Richter.asc
 Fingerprint: DC26 EB8D 1F35 4F44 2934  7583 DBB6 F98D 9198 3292