Re: Making files readable for the webserver

On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 06:28:30AM +0200, Simon Richter wrote:
> I have a package (uprecords-cgi) which has some config files that need to
> be readable for the webserver (specifically, for a CGI script). Is there
> any definition how the permissions should look like (644 root.root, 640
> root.www-data, ...)?

Debian Policy Manual section 11.9 says that files "should be owned by
root.root, and made writable only by the owner and universally
readable (and executable, if appropriate), that is mode 644 or 755."

Could you provide more details if this stock answer isn't
satisfactory?