state of debian multimedia etc.

Hello,

This is my ponderings on the Debian Multimedia status.

ALSA seems to be a difficulty in that the latest ALSA
is not in a state which can really be packaged and
called stable.

Some packages already depend on ALSA 0.9 BETA4.
There is already ALSA0.9 BETA5 and it seems to be
incompatible with ALSA0.9 BETA4.

This needs to be resolved: are we going to have a working
ALSA in Debian ?
Also I think we need to update ALSA in point releases of
stable if possible, because ALSA in potato point releases
did not work out of the box; kernel was upgraded, but
ALSA hasn't been.

LADSPA, a plugin system for sound effects,
seems to be in fine shape, and if your package
should be able to support LADSPA, please do.
we have seen some plugin packages (check apt-cache showpkg ladspa-plugin).
I was hoping to add "vocoder" ladspa plugin, since it seems to be very interesting
and exciting.

For packages that hasn't entered Debian yet, I think GDAM would be a good
addition. I am hoping for heteca, and ecaenveloptor to enter Debian, which
would allow people who are scared off by ecasound command-line interfaces
to use the ecasound engine to record multi-track audio.

Anyone care to comment?

Also, do we have any video-editing capable software in Debian yet ?

regards,
	junichi

--
dancer@debian.org  http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer