Re: Smarter handling of generated configuration files

While I agree this mechanism is sadly necessary for some config files,
I think it is far better when possible for the config script to read
in the modified config file in the config script, re-populate the
database with the current values and then modify the file in place
(preserving comments, unknown options, etc) in the postinst.

I'd really rather see effort spent making this process easy for
various kinds of configuration files than putting an md5sum based
solution in place.  The md5sum solution is not as friendly for the
users.  However, in Debian people get to work on what the want to work
o.  So if you go forward with this, please at least write some fairly
strong text discussing the advantages of cleanily integrating with
user modifications and giving examples of packages to look at if you
want to go that route.