Re: Outdated GNU config (config.{sub,guess}) and autotools-dev

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 11:35:49AM +0200, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:
> P.S. Why does libtool use this dreaded scripts at all? The concept of
> determining the system type to base some other decision on that seems
> severily broken to me, and goes against the spirit of
> autoconfiguration.

Sometimes it is really necessary.  For example, the C library picks the
default prefix based on the system type.  On GNU systems, it is '', on
others it is '/usr'.  Also for various other configuration in glibc (as the
C library is one of the first things compiled for a platform, there is
little sense in determining it from other properties).

Also, for cross compilation it is very important.

I don't know why libtool specifically relies on that.   Maybe this is
historically.  I know that libtool configures some things, maybe the authors
are currently working at moving this from the system specific stuff to the
automatically determined stuff.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de