Re: Outdated GNU config (config.{sub,guess}) and autotools-dev

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Lars Wirzenius wrote:

> > (do not forget the build-depends!.  Also, the above script will FAIL if the
> > config.sub in the package is so old it doesn't support -t. Do the first
> > upgrade by hand :P).

> And here I thought the interface to those files was set in stone by
> their developers...

It does not follow that because the developers add new command line options,
they will also break old ones.  A commitment from them to not break the
interface is quite a bit more than one ever gets from most software authors.

In any case, I think it remains the domain of each maintainer to decide for
his or her packages how to best keep them up-to-date wrt new Debian ports.
Personally, I've chosen to use a method that allows for grabbing new versions
of config.{guess,sub} as an integral part of the Makefile without causing
changes to the .diff.gz, obviating the need for source NMUs for this
particular problem.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer