Re: ITP: cidr

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 12:00:53AM +0200, Alexander Koch wrote:

> /me sees no real need in that. If you have to learn another
> language, visit that country and try make yourself understood
> by carrying a dictionary (and probably not knowing the
> alphabet very well, oh what joy) is the same as if you do
> cidr calculations by a programm or with your brain. That's
> what it's for.
>
> Come on, knowing all the appropriate stuff from a /30 to a
> /24 is easy, maybe a /28 or /29 you get wrong sometimes, but
> it's just those few numbers that even make sense themselves.

'You get wrong sometimes'? And then your customer or worse yet some other AS
is debugging problems caused by you. Software is there to do the monkey
work, so that people can concentrade on the real work. Everyone knows how to
calculate amount of IPs, network and broadcast from any IP+MASK but it
doesn't tell that people want to grab piece of paper every time, just punch
them on a software and you're sure. I hardly think ability to calculate
anything with IP-addresses is something to brag about.

If it's fit you Alexander to always grab piece of paper when you want
aggregate boundary of two IP-addresses, fine. But be more open minded with
other peoples pleasures, some people just want to make the software do
trivialities fast and always right and spend their own time thinking
something software can't.

And for the original poster, CPAN Net::IP is great for doing anything with
IP's. This is quick sample of it's powers.
perl -e'use Net::IP;$i=new Net::IP("$ARGV[0]-$ARGV[1]");@l=$i->find_prefixes();foreach(@l){($i,$m)=split("/");$i=new Net::IP($i);print$i->short()."/$m\n";}' addr1 addr2

It aggregates IPv4 or IPv6 address boundaries, doing CIDR calculation is
even more trivial

--
	++ytti