Re: Oracle 8.1.6, 8.1.7 on Debian

On 19 Jul 2001 09:22:59 -0700, C. R. Oldham wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Anyone who uses Oracle probably has figured out that currently Oracle
> 8.1.6 and 8.1.7 link against glibc-2.1.3, while woody/sid include 2.2.3.
>
> I would like to go to woody on my servers, but I'm not sure of the
> ramifications of this.  Oracle provides a patch located at
>
> ftp://205.227.44.220/server/patchsets/unix/LINUX/bug1467074/
>
> that includes "stubs" for 2.1.3 but the README with that patch confuses
> me and makes me worry about building things like DBD::Oracle, php4, etc.
> Can someone enlighten me?  What would be the "Debian way" to solve this
> problem?

I've installed recently Oracle 8.1.7 on woody, and since then I've used it to
compile OCI applications (which I suppose are what DBD:Oracle, php, etc
are) with no problem at all. I just had to apply the patch from Oracle
after installing (BTW, be sure to remove $ORACLE_HOME/lib from
/etc/ld.so.conf) and everything is working perfectly well. To compile
OCI apps, AFAIK, you don't need to do what the README says.

In fact, it installed better in woody than in RH 7.1, which caused many
problems and forced the people who were making the Oracle installation
to downgrade to RH 6.2. So, the Oracle people support better debian than
RH without even knowing it :-)

cheers
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo@gnome-db.org> - <rodrigo@ximian.com>