Re: ITP: tsocks -- transparent network access through a SOCKS 4 or 5 proxy

Sorry, I wrote an Answer to Tamas Szerb and forgot to send it to the
list. It explains why tsocks prog [args ...] is not always a good idea:

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 04:44:52PM +0200, Tamas SZERB wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Bernhard Josef Rieder wrote:
>
> > sorry. I forgot to mention something:
> > .bashrc:
> > function ts () { . /usr/local/bin/tsocks $1; }

The function ts calls the script tsocks (I posted before) which will set
LD_PRELOAD for the following commands.

Please read below why I did it this way.

> See, the tsocks <appname> <args> is the best thing (like fakeroot) to use
> tsocks. I am assured to package tsocks, soon guys. Thanks supporting
> me. :)

No. It is not!

Some problems about tsocks(the script supplied within the package):

tsocks lftp ftp.somewhere.xy
works fine until you press ^Z

normally lftp catches this and brings the running job to background

when using tsocks lftp .... the ^Z is for some reason captured by
   bash and suspends lftp.

That's why I like the LD_PRELOAD way but without typing it always.

Bernhard

--
Bernhard Rieder & Nagetiere:  /""\       __    _,-""-.
   bernhard@ratte.dhs.org    / `.o\     (0)),-"    .-.'.