Re: Another changelog rant

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 01:24:53AM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 06:51:16PM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > Where would be a good place to recommend this where it would get some
> > attention?  It doesn't seem to fit in the developer's reference, because it
> > relates specifically to packaging,
>
> Ahem. You need to read 11.4 "When bugs are closed by new uploads".

I understand what the (Closes: #bug) syntax is for; I use it all the time.  It
is meant to complement proper changelog entries, to automatically close bugs.
It is not a substitute for listing the changes that were made.

bad: "Applied patch from Joe Schmo (Closes: #bug)
bad: "Modified the configuration file (Closes: #bug)

good: "Applied patch from Joe Schmo to warve the fleeble option (Closes: #bug)
good: "Commented out the brillig directive in /etc/blarg.conf (Closes: #bug)"

Persons reading the changelog should not have to access the BTS in order to
learn what changes were actually made to the package.

--
 - mdz