Re: sponsor rules

    Richard> On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 06:16:39PM -0400, Susan G. Kleinmann wrote:
    >> I guess I think that somebody who sponsors an upload under any of the
    >> conditions which related to this package:
    >>
    >> No lintian check.
    >> Not installable.
    >> No NM progress -- not even an ID check.
    >>
    >> should lose the privilege to sponsor packages until all of the above
    >> (and any other serious shortcomings) are resolved.

    Richard> I don't think there is any such thing as a privilege to
    Richard> sponsor packages.

<sarcasm>So we need to make it a priviledge so we can revoke
it.</sarcasm>

    Richard> All Debian developers can upload packages, and if they
    Richard> choose to upload packages prepared by someone else then
    Richard> that is their responsibility.  Sponsorship evolved as an
    Richard> extension of that.  I hold sponsors fully responsible for
    Richard> what they upload.

    Richard> So, what do we do with developers who upload crap
    Richard> packages?  So far we've glared at them until they stop or
    Richard> get better, and it seems to work.

Bingo!

We no need no more rulez... ;-) (Sorry for the excessive quoting, but
I don't know where to snip... it's all to well on the mark).

And... if we made "sponsoring" a priviledge... then some people would
still sponsor (or even start!), but won't tell anyone.  Would that be
better than what we have now?

    Richard> (This is why I think the Maintainer field should point at
    Richard> the sponsor, with the sponsoree's name in the changelog.
    Richard> But not many developers seem to agree with me on that.)

No, I think the Maintainer field listing the actual producer of the
package is correct.  But the sponsor should be listed in the Packages
file.  (Or somewhere equally accessible).

Bye, J

--
 Jürgen A. Erhard  (juergen.erhard@gmx.net, jae@users.sourceforge.net)
     MARS: http://members.tripod.com/Juergen_Erhard/mars_index.html