Re: ITP: tsocks -- transparent network access through a SOCKS 4 or 5 proxy

Hi Tamas!

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Tamas SZERB wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Peter Palfrader wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Tamas SZERB wrote:
> > > I intend to package called tsocks.
> > >  tsocks provides transparent network access through a SOCKS
> > How does it differ from dante-client?
>
> oops, it seems they are identical in that functionality. :> plus,
> dante-client seems to support http connect too.. i'll check this out, and
> drop me, if dante-client is better than tsocks ;)

dante-client has a few disadvantages:
 - you have to set the socks address as an IP address, I did not work with
   dns names. Maybe I was just stupid but I did not really try.
 - dante-client is _really_ slow. It needs up to two seconds for a connect.
   This could be the sock servers fault too but perhaps it isn't.

So if it is easier to configure or faster it is worth packaging IMHO.

					yours,
					peter

    messages preferred.    | : :' :    By professionals,