cramfs problems, also file(1)

I am trying to compile my own kernel supporting initrd, but my kernels don't
accept the initrd image for some reason.  I get the following kernel messages:
RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at 0.
Freeing initrd memory: 1572k freed
wrong magic

However inspection of the initrd that I am loading shows it has the right
magic (so I presume that the process of loading the initrd is failing
somehow).

The size of the initrd (1572k in this test) matches the size of the file on
disk.

If I repeat the test with everything being the same but use the standard
kernel from a kernel-image package in woody then everything works fine.

Also when I boot my kernel in a non-initrd fashion the following command
works:
mount /boot/initrd-2.4.5 /mnt -o loop

So the file system driver is working too.

Any suggestions?

Also I have just submitted a wishlist bug against the file package to have
the following added to the magic list.  Did I get it right for big endian?

# cramfs filesystem
0       long    0x28cd3d45    Linux Compressed ROM File System, little endian
0       long    0x453dcd28    Linux Compressed ROM File System, big endian