Re: [OT] Re: Solaris/Debian

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 10:43:06AM -0700, tony mancill wrote:

> > Sorry this doest 'H', pkg-get uses sunfreeware which suprises me over
> > and over again with it's low quality packaking. When I need something
> > for solaris, I do apt-get source <foobar> on debian, scp the source
> > and compile it. This usually works, which in the first place made me
> > wonder, what would be the problem of compiling it the debian way via
> > apt-get -b source <packet>?
>
> We don't use sunfreeware either.  We build our own packages and install
> them into our internal mirror/repository.  But we build the .pkg format so
> that all of the standard Solaris package see these packages, enforce pkg's
> crude idea of dependencies, etc.
>
> I'd much rather be able to build and use .debs, but when you're in a group
> with 20 other sysadmins it's hard enough just to get everyone up to the
> level of not running around with CDs in their hands.  (Anyone been able to
> convince their management that just because Oracle and IBM don't
> explicitly support Debian, that running it instead of RedHat does not put
> the corporation at substantially at risk? ;)

   This isn't problem in our company, we'd much rather run Linux/Debian
everywhere, rather than Solaris. But (why is there always a but, am I part of
some intergalactic sob movie?) software providers quite often insist running
their software over solaris. So active people around there, be a bitch and
copy the GPL code to make sun-get, our company would surely pay for such
thing, assuming the programs will compile.

ps. for all the free lunch people over there, don't hang me. Rather give all your
money after rent and food to poor people, after that you can critise my
software ethics.

--
	ytti