Re: support for multilingual Packages files?

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 09:25:35AM +1000, Sam Couter wrote:
> Those words aren't originally English. They're adopted/adapted from other
> languages. English uses the Roman alphabet, 26 letters only. In proper
> English, the funny marks over the vowels all disappear.

Not so fast.  Earlier this century, it was considered correct to spell
"cooperation" as "coöperation".  And still today, some words borrowed from,
say, French, still maintain accent marks, e.g., "résumé" (sometimes just
"resumé" and "fiancé".

> Disclaimer: I'm not an American. I'll leave the judgement of ignorance up to
> others. ;)

I'm all in favor of written English fitting entirely within 7-bit ASCII
(though I don't expect any other language to satisfy that requirement),
personally, but I can't ignore the fact that sometimes it doesn't.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |  When I die I want to go peacefully in
Debian GNU/Linux                   |  my sleep like my ol' Grand Dad...not