Re: potato -> woody upgrade not smooth...

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 01:27:21PM -0300, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> Em 11 Jul 2001 11:06:17 -0400
> Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org> escreveu:
>
> > The Apt developers have I think rightly argued that this would be a
> > layering violation.  apt-get was never really intended as the primary
> > packaging tool that a lot of users would use.  The hope was that
> > people would use tools like aptitude or console-apt.
> well, they're not as easy and as practical as apt-get install...
>
> > However people really seem to want a CLI tool.  It's not clear how to
> > deal with recommends well in a CLI.
> hmmm it should *at least* show something like:
>
> "Package foo suggests: packg1, packg2, packg3"
     packg1 depends: virt-packgA
       packg4 provides: virt-packgA
	 packg4 conflicts: inst-packgX
 	 packg4 suggests: packg5
       packg6 provides: virt-packgA
         packg6 recommends: packg7
	   packg7: conflicts: inst-packgY
       [etcetera]

> and asking:
>
> "Would you like to install those?"
>
> or even:
>
> "Would you like to select the ones you wish to install?"

or even:

"Would you like to use the package selection interface in dselect?"

> > If you have ideas on how to present the interface they would certainly be welcome.
> Asking the user is almost always the best approach ;)

No comment.

Cheers,

Joost