Re: BTS: howto reassign a bug

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, christophe barbé wrote:

> I've done the following :
> rm /etc/environment
> touch /etc/environment
> apt-get install gdm
> /etc/init.d/gdm start
> choosen french language
> login as normal user
> and ... gnome start in english !
>
> So my conclusion is that it's a debian gdm bug.
> I can set my locale normally for startx and xdm but not with gdm.

No. It's probably a X11 bug. Let me guess/explain.

gdm declares language using aliases in /etc/locale.alias
So it declares a french language reading this file. It uses the
fr_FR.ISO-8859-1 alias (just read the file).

BUT, there is a bug in X11 (I submitted this as 76906 initially).
The expected locale (for X11) is fr_FR.ISO8859-1 so that when
used, the locale is not recognized. X11 falls back to the "C" locale,
thus making all panel applications in gnome being in english.

Just try: export LANG=fr_FR.ISO8859-1; gnotes-applet (or any other
applet). If the applet is (correctly) in French, then you can submit a
new bug to xlibs (to be merged with others). The (quick and
dirty) bugfix is to edit /etc/locale.alias to rewrite
fr_FR.ISO-8859-1 in fr_FR.ISO8859-1

Good luck.
--
Jean-Christophe Dubacq -- ATER en informatique à l'université de Caen