Re: LSB Spec 1.0 Criticism

>From dominik.kubla@uni-mainz.de Sun Jul  8 21:10:38 2001

>On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 07:53:38PM +0200, schilling@fokus.gmd.de wrote:
>>
>> If an application will really write into the main mail folder, then
>> it must know the official locking rules for mail files.
>>
>> If Linix did not yet learn how to do record locking over NFS, then
>> it will most likely fail. Note that a mail program creates a file
>> ~/.Maillock with an advisory record lock to check whether/how it may
>> write into the mail file (this is in addition to /var/mail/{user}.lock)
>>

>I fail to see the relevance of these remarks.

If you would have _read_ my mail instead of shortening it, it would be easier
to tell you about the relevance of the remark....

This was a reply to a question on whether it would make sense to write directly
into a mail box. My answer tells you a reason for why this does not make sense.

Jörg

       schilling@fokus.gmd.de		(work) chars I am J"org Schilling