Re: Do the HPPA "binary-only" NMUs violate the GPL?

    >> > clif (0.93-1.0.1) unstable; urgency=low > * va_arg fixes for
    >> gcc 2.96 and later.  See #103683 This is certainly in poor
    >> taste.  If the HPPA people can't wait for the maintainer to
    >> turn around a new package, they should do a source NMU - it's
    >> scarcely much more work than a binary-only upload.  Like any
    >> other, this rule is made to be broken, but one shouldn't make a
    >> habit of it.

    LaMont> As the one doing a fair percentage of these uploads, here
    LaMont> is the logic I was given by some porters (who have done
    LaMont> other architectures) when they told me to do binary NMU's
    LaMont> with a patch in the BTS.

    LaMont> 1) GPL is met, since the source is available.  All
    LaMont> information needed to get the source is provided in the
    LaMont> ftp archive and the .changes file.

I sort of doubt this meets the GPL, but  even if it does I don't think it is a good idea.

    LaMont> 2) there are long
    LaMont> build-dependency chains which take forever to get built if
    LaMont> one package takes time to get there.  In order for the
    LaMont> build daemon to find the package, it must be in the
    LaMont> archive.

But you really need a solution to this problem.
    LaMont> thoughts?  lamont

Do the binary upload but make sure no such packages are released.
I.E. if you are working on a released architecture open the bug as
serious so it will block your upload from going into testing.  If you
are working on a non-released architecture, upgrade the bugs or do
source NMUs to make sure that these packages never make it into a
release when your architecture is ready to release.

The other option is to ignore process and do rapid source NMUs but that seems like a very bad option.

Personally I would find it unacceptable if one of my packages were
released with the source code not corresponding to diff+tar.