DebianDoc vs. DocBook (Re: potato -> woody upgrade not smooth...)

On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 11:42:27AM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > Or better, use SGML and the DebianDoc DTD.
>
> Or better, forget about DebianDoc and use docbook.

If we are really going to standardize on DocBook for documentation (an idea
that I'm not opposed to), things like the document below need to be changed.
New documents are being written with DebianDoc.

<http://www.debian.org/doc/docpolicy>

* We'll use SGML as source format.

Note that this does not mean that users have to learn SGML to submit changes to
our documents. We accept all other formats as well. However, they will be
translated into SGML by one of the Debian-Doc people.

The other options were: LaTeX, HTML, Texinfo, and several other minor formats.

* We'll use debiandoc-sgml for our documents.

The other options were linuxdoc-sgml or DocBook. Linuxdoc is no longer
maintained; DocBook is judged by many to be too big and complex and difficult
to customize.

--
 - mdz