Re: Upgrade glitches

Wichert Akkerman <wichert@wiggy.net> writes:

> Previously Bob Hilliard wrote:
> >      I'm running woody.  My last two upgrades (6/16 and today) have
> > included any upgrade of lynx.  In both cases, my lynx config file,
> > /etc/lynx.cfg, was replaced without asking permission, without even
> > reporting that is was doing so.  I don't know it this is a bug in
> > lynx, dpkg or debconf, but it is not correct behavior.
>
> Did you make any changes in that file prior to upgrading it?

     Yes, I have customized /etc/lynx.cfg with my preferred startup
file and colors.  Other posters have said this is a known bug in lynx,
but isn't dpkg responsible for asking about replacing changed
conffiles?

> > Why, then, would apt-get download and re-install the package?
>
> Different MD5 checksum of the deb so it assumed the one in the archive
> it knows about is the good one and will install that one.

     After checking my backups, I find that I mis-stated the situation
in my original post.  The version I had installed was dict-gcide
0.44-2pre2 (unreleased), and the dist-upgrade installed dict-gcide
0.44-1.  Should apt-get downgrade from a version it doesn't know about
to the one in the archive?

Bob
--
   _