Re: real LSB compliance

>>"Sam" == Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org> writes:

 Sam> I.E. because I don't find registration to be particularly honorous and
 Sam> because I believe having all scripts registered provides a superior
 Sam> user experience than having either vendor init scripts not registered
 Sam> or having third-party init scripts not registered,

	How exactly does a bureaucratic process enhance user
 experience? Having a global name space (and all the silly clashes
 that can then ensue) is not  really a great idea. (which is why one
 tries to create separate namespaces while programming). However, is
 the LSB wants to create a separate namespace, as shown by the prefix
 lsb.01- or something, that would be fine.  Vendors are already
 responsible for keeping an init.d script name space mostly free from
 collision (with exceptions -- two conflicting packages may indeed
 have the same init.d script name)

 Sam> I support registration.  I was proposing the prefix as a way to
 Sam> insure correctness in the case where the maintainer had not yet
 Sam> registered a script.  The argument there is that correctness is
 Sam> more important than usability.

	And I say that a global namespace for any and all third party
 script names does not scale well, and I would object to imposing such
 a restriction on developers. It is bad enough keeping script names
 unique internally, having a potentially crowded extra-debian
 namespace is unacceptable.

	manoj
--
 Where, oh, where, are you tonight? Why did you leave me here all
 alone? I searched the world over, and I thought I'd found true