Re: your mail

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 11:15:34AM +0800, jensw@almos.com.au wrote:

> My question is if there is in the Potato distribution a comfortable project
> management software and an IDE based development system like you can find
> them under Windows (VC++, Borland C++).  When I did Unix programming years
> ago there was emacs and vi and the compiling was through make and scripts. If
> there is a development system like which makes live easier for people working
> in x-large projects please let me know and give me the name and a brief
> description.

I don't know how many years ago your Unix programming was, but emacs and vim
have both evolved IDE features (tags, compilation, jumping to errors,
debugging).  You still have to write makefiles, but for many projects,
automake will generate them for you based on a minimum of information.

There are also several IDEs under development that are similar in spirit to the
tools you are used to.  I hear many good things about kdevelop
(www.kdevelop.org), but have never used it myself.

> But maybe I'm to 'stuck' with all these IDE based tools and there are just
> plain different ways to work under Linux. I would be pleased to hear from you
> guys which tools you use to edit, compile, debug and version control your
> coding ( especially C++ and X ).

Emacs, GCC, GDB and CVS give me all I need.  For GUI development, there are
tools for Qt (I don't know the name of the tool) and GTK (glade) that will let
you visually design applications.

There's no shortage of choices; you should do some research, try a lot of
tools, and find what best suits your needs and those of your project.

--
 - mdz