Re: potato -> woody upgrade not smooth...

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 02:07:50PM -0300, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:

> apt is meant to be the default package management tool AFAIK

no its not, its a supplimental tool.

> and even dselect uses it now, so apt should be able to work this
> around

dselect is only using apt to download and install the packages,
dselect takes care of setting all the selections appropriatly as well
as resolving Depends, Recommends, and Suggests, apt ignores the
latter two.

it runs apt-get dselect-install which only installs and deinstalls
packages based on the status in the dpkg status file.

> > Please help spread the gospel: "use dselect".
> I'm doing the reverse... I keep spreading that apt is quite
> easier to work with and I don't want to have to use dselect
> to upgrade my system, apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
> should do it, no?

apparently not.  its really difficult to make transitions from
obsolete packages to new packages (name changes) with a tool that
ignores recommends.

> > Shouldn't you have checked beforehand?  Use dselect.
> would dselect really do it? I'll try that later but...
> again, apt should've done it...

since there are several places where packages have split and whatnot,
to make it easy to have a more granularly installed system.  recommends
are used to ensure nothing disappears, except apt ignores them so they
disappear anyway.  dselect solves that.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/