Re: [users] Re: Time to fight for our beloved DEB format!

On 03-Jul-01, 17:50 (CDT), Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 12:40:05PM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:
>
> the benifit is leaving what all 4 of those runlevels do solely up to
> YOU not some so called standards body.

<sarcasm>So we should get rid of the FHS as well? Perhaps the POSIX
standard?.  Certainly Debian Policy must go!</sarcasm>

Okay, I've read further down in the replies and see some valid
points. But "it restricts what I can do" is not a useful objection, as
that's pretty much what *all* standards do: Limit choices so that the
user can rely on specific/consistent behaviour. As a practical matter,
I'd bet that very few people mess much with the default runlevels, and
I'd further bet that most who do end up with something very similar to
the LSB proposed system.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read