Re: woody's libc vs. the rest of the world's libc?

> this is getting annoying, to say the least.  I compile a program on a
> woody|sid box (linkage: -ldl -lm, and -lc implicitly) and try to run it
> on something (anything) else and the dynamic linker complains about not
> being able to find version GLIBC_2.2.  This happens more often than not
> (in the particular case that triggered this email the other system has
> libc 2.1.3, whose SONAME *is* libc.so.6).  Is there a way to solve this
> problem *without* installing a new libc on the *other* system?

Glibc doesn't attempt to be forwards compatible: if you build a program
against a particular version, you can't expect it to run on older versions.
You need to build your binaries against the oldest version of libc that you
expect to support.

> Other instances of this problem, from the top of my head: am-utils will
> break everytime a new libc is installed, in its most annoying
> manifestation it doesn't fail to load, it just blocks trying to mount
> any filesystem; nis also breaks after a libc6 upgrade (see
> changelog.Debian for Miquel's comments regarding this).

These, on the other hand, could be genuine bugs.  I suggest you analyse the
failure and report it with glibcbug if it seems that libc is at fault.

p.