woody's libc vs. the rest of the world's libc?

Hi,

 this is getting annoying, to say the least.  I compile a program on a
 woody|sid box (linkage: -ldl -lm, and -lc implicitly) and try to run it
 on something (anything) else and the dynamic linker complains about not
 being able to find version GLIBC_2.2.  This happens more often than not
 (in the particular case that triggered this email the other system has
 libc 2.1.3, whose SONAME *is* libc.so.6).  Is there a way to solve this
 problem *without* installing a new libc on the *other* system?  And a
 somewhat related question: if these versions (2.0.x vs 2.1.3 vs 2.2.x)
 are not 100% ABI compatible, why do we keep pretending they are?

 Other instances of this problem, from the top of my head: am-utils will
 break everytime a new libc is installed, in its most annoying
 manifestation it doesn't fail to load, it just blocks trying to mount
 any filesystem; nis also breaks after a libc6 upgrade (see
 changelog.Debian for Miquel's comments regarding this).

--
Marcelo             | "Go ahead, bake my quiche"
mmagallo@debian.org |         -- Magrat instructs the castle cook