Re: GCC 3.0 status?

Hi Richard, hi .....

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 02:05:11PM +0200, Richard Atterer wrote:
>> I think, on a porting-party, we have a look to this too, and, when
>> debian-developers and perhaps other volunteers, with experience on
>> debian, will porting packages to gcc-30, they might be able tio fx
>> some problems in gcc as well.
>You optimist! :-)

:)
You don't get wat you want, if you don'tz fight for. When you're fighting,
you must be a bit optimistig :)

>I can only speak for myself, but IMHO GCC is a big
>piece of software and not something where you can "just do a quick
>bugfix". When I worked on GCC for a while 2 years ago, it took me
>about a month to get to know the code before being able to do any
>modifications.

I see the problem, and I must say, I use gcc to compile and build binaries
for my packages, but if there is an error in gcc... I have a problem, which
_I_ can't solve, surely. :)

But, my thought was, we are a lot of people to work on debian, and when
there are many poeple woprk on proting these packages, then it might be a
bit easier to finish that.. you see....

The question is, that we get enough poeple to work on it... ;)
I would like to see it... :)

And freebsd has gcc-30 , so why should we not have gcc in our next stable?

>[fx: waits for PhilB to chime in "Oh, it ain't that bad when you look
>at one bit of it at a time". :-]
 :)

--
One time, you all will be emulated by linux!

----
Jan- Hendrik Palic
Url:"http://www.billgotchy.de";
E-Mail: "palic@billgotchy.de"