Re: make-kpkg

also sprach Ian Eure (on Fri, 29 Jun 2001 01:25:25AM -0700):
> lastversion=`cat /var/run/last_kernel_revision`
> lastversion=$[lastversion+1]
> echo ${lastversion} >/var/run/last_kernel_revision
>
> make-kpkg --revision `date "+%Y%m%d.%H%M"`.${lastversion}

well, using HHMM after the dot does the same, does it not?

> you really should be using epochs to make sure your kernel package is
> always treated as newer than the official packages, by prepending the
> revision with a number and a colon, e.g. 3:`date
> "+%Y%m%d.%H%M"`.${lastverision}
>
> you shouldn't need to use an epoch >3. see the debian packaging manual for
> the nitty-gritty about epochs.

okay, will look into them. i am a little confused about epochs, but
i'll RTFM.

> > (2) --arch_in_name   works for the i486 machine, yielding a filename
> >   kernel-image-2.4.5-embryo-i486_20010628.2129_i386.deb, but
> > compiling it for either the pentium I, the pentium II, the AMD K6-2,
> > or the Athlon yields a mere
> >   kernel-image-2.4.5-seamus_20010628.1453_i386.deb.
> >
> > What gives?
> >
> i believe that you are confused about the terms "architecture" and
> "cpu". "arch" only specifies the family of processor, not the specific
> type. and the pentium/ppro/p2 are all members of the i386 family. you
> might want to stick the cpu type in the flavor or revision and drop
> --arch_in_name if you really care about it.

okay, you got me there. nevertheless, i use the same script for all
CPU's, but embryo's filename includes i486 while seamus' filename does
not include an equivalent i586.

> it really doesn't matter that much. the kernel doesn't depend on any
> external libraries, just the build tools, e.g. gcc, binutils, as86 (on
> i386) and lex/yacc. you might get better performance with a newer
> gcc/binutils, but it's really not a big enough performance diffence to
> worry about.

okay, cool. that's good to know.

i'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.