Re: Threading added to our debian-devel archive

David L. Craig wrote:
> I don't recall if there was a way to search for threads based upon
> content.

There is, in the upper-right of every page you'll find a 'search' link. Do a
search, find the message you want. Then in the view of the message, click on
the 'Conversation: <click subject that's here>'.

> I used it just before I subscribed and found it helpful
> but somewhat slow.

As for slow, well 2.0.1->2.0.2 involved a database rewrite. :-)
I guarantee the archive ain't slow - our network link might be tho.

I'd love it if you looked again. Thanks!

John H. Robinson, IV wrote:
> WOW! that is excellent. makes both camps happy. this is a wonderful
> compromise, and adds a value that some (me!) never imagined.

Great! I'm glad it works for you. I just have really strong objections to
breaking chronology so we found a way to work around it. You'll also note
that normal thread-view shows things like:

Where when it gets deep enough it gives up (usually after only 5 replies)!
B/c we draw replies below each other, a long reply-sequence is actually our
best case, so we can show the threading arbitrarily deep. :-)

> i do like the little graph in the corner.
If you hover of the linked message picture it tells you the author too. ;-)

> however, in lynx and w3m, it is very very ugly. the idividual message
> view, however, is acceptable.

I know lynx and w3m don't work in the conversation view. I've been trying to
fiddle with using alt="" for the images to render it as ascii art, but they
seem to want to display the image filename anyways! If you have any
suggestions on how to fix this I'd love to hear them.

--
Wesley W. Terpstra - Linux Developer