Re: Kernel modules with dependencies on each other

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:
JH> David Z Maze wrote:
 DZM> I'm trying to package the current version of lm-sensors and i2c,
 DZM> which go together.  (You can't use lm-sensors without i2c, and
 DZM> AFAIK nothing besides lm-sensors uses i2c.
JH>
JH> Some other things do use i2c, IIRC it can be used to talk to monitors or
JH> something.
JH>
JH> Anyway, I'm suprised i2c needs to live much longer. It should be in the
JH> 2.4 kernel and in the later 2.2 kernels too IIRC.

The lm-sensors people moved the boundary between lm-sensors and i2c.
Looking at what got done this actually looks like a sensible design
decision (they were throwing i2c stuff into lm-sensors because it was
easy, and cleaned this up a bit), but the result is that now
lm-sensors 2.6.0 depends on i2c-2.6.0, which is newer than what's in
the 2.4.x kernels.  :-/

	-- Abra Mitchell