Re: Is it too late to try and generalize PAM for woody?

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 07:03:11PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
> I'm mainly asking for political/time objections to trying to start
> implementing this, not technical objections on how it should be
> implemented at this point.

What exactly would the transition plan be?

Will you just upload a new pam package that'll work with all the old debs
from potato and anything currently in woody or sid? Will anything users have
done break? Can you implement the changes without causing bugs?

If you get PAM changed, and someone uploads a package using the new
features, what will break? Will such packages work with an old pam that
doesn't handle the new features or will it need a versioned dependency? If
the latter, can the versioned dep be added automatically, or will we have
a situation where some packages use the new feature but don't depend on
it properly?

If you can't implement a smooth, automatic transition (all old PAM
programs continuing to work with the new PAM stuff; a simple method to
have PAM programs start using the new method that's difficult to get
wrong), it's almost certainly best not to do this for woody. If you can,
it may still be better to upload the debs to experimental until you've got
them working. Once you've got them working, it should be obvious whether
there's still time to get it in woody or not.

Cheers,
aj