Re: /etc getting big

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 04:50:19PM +0200, Claus Fischer wrote:
> I am very uncomfortable with the recent move of app-defaults to /etc.

Sorry to hear that.

> Why can't the X11 applications use a file from /etc/X11 if it's there
> and otherwise default to the /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults directory?

Because Xt isn't written that way.

> I don't care for changing the app-defaults for most X applications,

But some people do; that's why they have moved to /etc.

Mind you, upstream made this decision, not me.  I just happen to agree with
it.

> and I don't want to even see them in /etc.

You always have the option of not installing the packages that use them.

For instance, on my workstation at work, I have only 4 packages installed
that use app-defaults: xbase-clients, xterm, xscreensaver, xmcd.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |     It doesn't matter what you are doing,
Debian GNU/Linux                |     emacs is always overkill.