Re: horse carcas flogging (was: traceroute in /usr/bin, not /usr/sbin)

On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 03:36:45PM -0400, Rene Weber wrote:
> : Current:
> : ================
> : Let's look at the 2.2 wording for /usr/sbin:
> :
> :         This directory contains any non-essential binaries used
> :         exclusively by the system administrator.
> :
> : Now, this is pretty clear: your interpretation is correct for
> : traceroute, assuming traceroute is setuid (cf. ping).
>
>     I believe that this is a strong statement that for traceroute at least,
> the FHS mandates that it must not be in /usr/sbin.  I also take this to mean
> that there is no maintainer discretion -- that is, that maintainers cannot
> define the purpose of their programs (for the purposes of FHS compatibility)
> in contradiction of the FHS' directives.  Alternate arguments that
> maintainers do have (not *should* have, but *do* have) that freedom are
> welcomed.

well assuming debian accepts the co-editors word as that of the word
of god, one of two things need to happen:

traceroute moved.
traceroute shipped non-suid.

i disagree with your statement that the maintainer has NO discretion,
i think rusty's remarks make that clear:  `assuming traceroute is
setuid' the maintainer decides whats setuid in his package.  debian
has shipped many traditionally setuid binaries non-setuid for a long
time (dump and restore for example).

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/