[OT] Re: horse carcas flogging

from the secret journal of Craig Sanders (cas@taz.net.au):
> setting EDITOR=/usr/bin/vi is an interesting case in point. it is, IMO,
> a very annoying bug that vipw, vigr, visudo, etc do not execute vi by
> default. the name of the program implies vi, not ae and not joe or any
> other editor.

Would you feel the same way if those programs were called emacspw and
emacsgr? The authors recognised that not everyone likes or even knows how to
use vi, but still have a need to use those programs.

I'm writing a program to edit ldap entries (part of my project to robustify
libnss-ldap). The only vi command I know is :q, but the project is still
called vildap. It will of course call $EDITOR or $VISUAL, because that's
what people will expect it to do.

--
Jacob Kuntz
http://underworld.net/~jake

"So the webcam was offline last night. Because someone broke in and stole
it. It was this guy:" --jwz