Re: traceroute in /usr/bin, not /usr/sbin

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 07:20:00PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Ben Gertzfield <che@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > traceroute is not used 'exclusively by the system administrator', nor
> > is it needed for bootup, so it must go in /usr/bin.  Pretty simple.
>
> To adhere to that, almost everything in /sbin,/usr/sbin will have to be
> moved out: ifconfig, sendmail, route, etc.

this argument was brought up last time this was argued. and personally
ifconfig and route (from your example) belong to a totally other
category than traceroute, i don't know anyone (other than admins) using
traceroute on daily (or weekly for that matter) basis, But traceroute
is.

And for sendmail, the main purpose is to control the mail daemon, not to
send mail (which you can do with it too) and it should stay in
/usr/sbin.

Sami

--
			  -< Sami Haahtinen >-
      -[ Is it still a bug, if we have learned to live with it? ]-