Re: Be careful of library updates once freeze happens.

MoiN

On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 12:43:56PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
> A few days ago I mentioned that I would probably end up uploading a
> new version of PAM to experimental rather than unstable.  Julian
> Gilbey asked why and during that discussion it became obvious that you
> want to be fairly careful how you treat libraries and other
> depended-on packages once the freeze starts.

Yes, and those problems may be even bigger because whole woody is
not frozen at the same time. Instead base is frozen first.

I thinbk we even need new pool sections for each frozen part of
debian (e.g. frozen-base, frozen-standard, frozen-leftovers), so
developers can still track testing/unstable for the non-froozen
parts of debian (see apt_preferences(5) on how to do this with
apt-get).

> The builder might be able to be clever on their own arch by building
> against a frozen libpam, but we have autobuilders and such tricks tend
> not to work.

Since new versions of libraries are guaranteed to be available
within the freeze an probably will be included in unstable I
think autobuilders _have_ to build against frozen/testing. And
developers have to make sure they use versioned build-depends if
they depend on a package not yet available in frozen/testing.

    Ingo
--
16                      Hard coded constant for amount of room allowed for
                        cache align and faster forwarding (tunable)

-- seen in /usr/src/linux-2.2.14/net/TUNABLE