Re: How to version libraries

On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 09:26:32PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> Why should we produce tons of library packages?

libncurses4
libncurses5

libdb1
libdb2
libdb3

libstdc++2.8
libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1
libstdc++2.10
libstdc++3.0

libpng0
libpng0g
libpng2

...etc. We already have a mechanism for installing multiple versions of
a library. In my mind, installing the library first and then the program
that depends on seems fairly sensible. The only time this breaks is with
libraries that have broken sonames or somesuch--and we need to deal with
those cases anyway.

> You would e.g. have four different library packages for the GNOME
> applications libraries within the last half year - and no packages would
> depend on at least the oldest two.

Once a library becomes obsolete it can be removed. How is this different
than the current situation?

--
Mike Stone