Re: APT : Packages file to large to download everytime.

Viral <viral@debian.org> wrote:
> This has been brought up many times before. The APT packages file is just
> too large to download everytime during an apt-get update.

I was not aware that Debian package files had been renamed APT packages file.

> I believe rsync is too costly a solution, as it would tax a server when
> hundreds of people are doing apt-get update.
>
> I think it would be a good idea to use a patch file. As in, every time
> the Packages file is changed, a diff could be made available. So, everday,
> a file called Packages-`date -I` could be released.
> Hence, everytime the Packages file is updated, a suitable patch could be
> released. Patches upto say 30 revisions could be kept, and if one was way
> out of sync, then the whole Packages file could be downloaded.

Good idea, you can look at cvs.debian.org for some of the code that you will
need to modify to generate incremental package files.

> Also, it would be nice if the Packages file was signed, or some trust
> mechanism was available.

What key do we use to sign it? If there is a Debian security key who looks
after it? How do we make sure it is not compromised? If we sign the package
files with it do we attempt automated signing, or does there have to be human
interaction with every run of dinstall?

> I wouldn't mind working on integrating these things into apt, if people
> generally tend to agree upon them as a good idea.

I look forward to seeing your patches.

--
Don't worry  --  shop.