Re: ITP: squeak-vm, squeak-image, squeak-sources -- A highly portable Smaltalk system

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Peter S Galbraith wrote:

> > > Btw, this license is unacceptable for at least one point: "here the
> > > Licensee is located in the province of Quebec, Canada, the following
> > > clause applies: The parties hereto confirm that they have requested
> > > that this Agreement and all related documents be drafted in English.
> > > Les parties ont exigé que le présent contrat et tous les
> > > documents connexes soient redigés en anglais."
> > >
> > > In Québec, there happens to be a law which permit Quebecers to
> > > require an official document to be in French.

<snip>

> > It's completely unacceptable that anyone requires you to talk a certain
> > language to be able to do something.
>
> What does this license have to do with that?  They are simply
> saying they are not translating it.

Then why say that?

To me, this looks like "If you speak French, I don't deal with you".

Just don't mention you speak French; that's a lot easier...

> >                                      Of course, if the other one would not
> > be able to speak French, I would accept that. The fact that he does,
> > however, is demonstrated by the last sentense of the above quoted
> > paragraph.
>
> ?

The license writer clearly knows how to write French, right? (I wouldn't
be able to write that down without a look at it -- and I've had French
at school for 13 years now...)

Anyway; a closer look shows that I may have overreacted a little bit
indeed. I suggest we let go ;-)

--
wouter dot verhelst at advalvas in Belgium

This is Linux world. On a quiet day, you can hear Windows reboot.